Day Drinking in Austin Part Two: Black Sheep Lodge, The ABGB
Black Sheep Lodge, The ABGB
Downtown Austin is filled with its pleasantries, but as Austin grows so does the amount of places to eat and drink around town. One of my favorite places to hang out during the week is the South Lamar district. Seemingly stretching from one side of the planet to the other, Lamar is home to hundreds of amazing local businesses that accommodate every type of need or desire. From mechanics, to comic book shops, movie theaters and great bars and restaurants, Lamar can kill an entire day alone.
South Lamar is a bit of a different beast than north Lamar and that’s where you’ll find Black Sheep Lodge. Part sports bar, part restaurant, part craft beer emporium, BSL has ample seating inside via amazing harvest tables or a decently-sized patio outside. There’s plenty of room at the bar too, and that’s where you’ll notice the extensive beer catalog either on tap or by the bottle. There’s various daily drink specials and plenty of bar food options to keep you snacking time and again.
What to order:
- If there is one thing that I can recommend is this: Order the fried cheese curds. Just do it. Gooey cheese dipped in ranch with a cold beer is HEAVEN.
- On that note, fried cookie dough. C’mon. Don’t argue- just do it.
- The daily drink specials last all day long, so pick your favorite and make that your weekly stop-in. The bartenders will get to know you and you’ll have your drink waiting for you at the bar in no time.
- The outdoor patio is covered, so if it’s a nice day sit outside and watch the traffic and people, not the TVs.
- Parking is wretched at BSL. Either get there early, or park across the street at the old mechanic shop, but pay attention to the tow truck signs. Tow truck drivers live to tow your car, so don’t test them.
- Looking to take some craft beer home? Right next door is a new craft beer store, Which Craft Beer Store, that features hundreds of bottles and a staff that knows what they’re talking about. Very friendly.
2108 S Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78704-4993
Open Sunday through Friday: 11am to 12am
Saturday: 11am to 1am
The Austin Beer Garden Brewing Company sits on the corner of Oltorf and Lamar and is an essential stop for any beer aficionado. Local daily drinkers and hipsters-alike are privy to this brewery-restaurant-live music venue that is slightly off the beaten path.
Ample parking and bike racks available, ABGB is plenty roomy. Sit outside or venture into the vast, warehouse area with plenty of communal tables to fill the beer hall. There is also a bar that extends most of the way down to sit at.
While inside, take some time to admire the large tanks that are used to brew the beer that is available. No ‘outside’ options are available, so keep that in mind when you make your way. ABGB has done its best to offer a decent range of flavor profiles, so try something new and pair it with some delicious off of the food menu.
In regard to its beer, the website divulges a bit more on the beer selection- “We’ll do “Always” beers and “Sometimes” beers. So, some beers will always be on tap. And some will come and go. And come back. We’ll brew the styles that we love and have brewed over the years. We love dry beers and we really love dry, hoppy beers like IPA and German-style Pils. We’ll accompany them with Belgian-style Ales like Tripel and Saison. And we’ll be traditional, seasonal, “collaborational”, and a little unpredictable.”
This place is perfect for day drinking during the week because its roomy, so it feels a bit empty during the day. Perfect if you just want a delicious snack and a pint. Note that it does get really busy at night and on the weekends, so plan accordingly. Try it during the day and see if you like what they have to offer and then come back. Simple, right?
- There is plenty of parking during the day, but it can get a little crowded at night. Be careful at night as the surrounding area of Oltorf can get a little seedy.
- The ABGB has merchandise for sale, but if you ask, stickers are FREE. They are very proud of that.
1305 West Oltorf, Austin, Texas 78704
Happy Hour TUES-FRI 3-7pm $1 off pints, $2 off pitchers.